Courses > PADI Specialty Courses > PADI Underwater Naturalist Specialty
Have you always been fascinated with the Life Aquatic? Ever been mesmerized by a gliding turtle or the psychedelic colours of a humble nudibranch? If it's the wonders of life under the surface that draw you to the water, then the PADI Underwater Naturalist Specialty course is especially for you.
In your journey to become an underwater naturalist, you learn about the different major aquatic life groupings and how they interact so that you understand what you observe in the underwater environment.
With the PADI Underwater Naturalist Specialty course under your belt, you see the aquatic world differently. You don't see just plain old “fish,” but individual species with distinct strategies for surviving in a complex, interactive ecosystem.
Included in the PADI Underwater Naturalist Specialty course is the following:
- Overview of aquatic life groupings and interrelations (kingdoms and phyla).
- The role of aquatic plants, food chains and predator prey relationships.
- Factual information that dispels myths of potentially dangerous aquatic life.
- Responsible interactions with aquatic life.
- Diving technique used to help preserve bottom dwelling aquatic life and minimize aquatic life disturbance.
Must be a PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver (or have qualifying certification from another organization)
Course duration: 1 day.
Certification counts toward the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating.
Please note: All course and excursion prices include full diving equipment rental, hotel/apartment pick-up and drop off, transportation to and from the dive sites in one of our air-conditioned mini-buses, light refreshments, plus PADI certification where applicable.
Extras: Educational materials and diving equipment can be purchased from the Simply Diving shop.